Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eight Ways of Looking at at a Drone Strike

With apologies to Wallace Stevens.

I.
Among twenty snowy mountains
The only moving thing
Was the camera of the drone.


II.
I was of three minds,
Like a voting booth
In which there are two ballots

III.
The drone cruised on the autumn winds.
It was a small part of the pantomime.

IV.
A Republican and a Democrat.
Are one.
A Republican and a Democrat and a Predator Drone
Are one.

V.
I do not know which to fear
The terrors of President Trump
Or the militarism of neoliberals
The drone killing
Or just after.

VI.
A bird's-eye view on the monitor
A bomb "crashed" the wedding
The shadow of the drone
Crossed it, to and fro
The route
Traced on the radar
The word Realpolitik

VII.
Oh thin men of Bayda
Why do you imagine golden birds
Do you not see how the drone
Glides above the heads
Of the people about you

VIII.
I know noble declarations
"The world safe for democracy"
But I know too
That the drone strike is involved
In what I know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment